Friday 19 December 2008

Policing Poetry For Correctness


Not that many people will find this of interest...a short while ago I found myself in a classroom looking through a copy of the Folens GCSE English for AQA/A textbook. As a poet, I was interested to see what poems and poets were being studied. Here are the featured poets:

Grace Nichols
Imtiaz Dharker
Sujata Bhatt
John Agard
Derek Walcott
Niyi Osundari
Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Denise Levertov
Tom Leonard.

Any comment I could make would be construed as racist but I do not believe that anyone can look at that list and not see an immense (and unjustifiable) imbalance. They're not all good poems, either.

1 comment:

Rethabile said...

Why racist? Because most are black?

I think it is one heck of a job to list poets and then poems for study. I think it depends on a number of things which may not be the same from poem-chooser to poem-chooser, and from student body to student body.

What do you think?

But then, you've said very little, like I don't know what poems they were.