Tuesday 24 March 2009

Vanishing Labour Party Membership Oh Good

Over at Labourhome there's a post about the declining number of Labour Party members.

During the 1980s I joined the Labour Party when I lived in Newcastle. I later moved down to London and decided not to continue my membership when I discovered that the 'loony left' actually existed and weren't just a fiction of the media. These people and their ilk were more interested in going off to support the Sandinistas in Nicaragua than helping ordinary folk in their own borough.

Once the Tories were finally removed I hoped I wouldn't have to spend so much time getting wound up about politics, but by the end of 2000 I already had my doubts. Apart from the fact that New Labour were just New Tory under a different name, something else had manifested itself. The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (2000) struck me as an unbelievably authoritarian bill, which had been provoked by nothing obvious. After that, the government's desire to monitor, record and regulate us has become almost pathological.

Like many other people, I will never vote Labour again. In fact, I'd like to see the whole New Labour 'project' and its architects utterly destroyed. Unfortunately we have no real alternative to vote for - another unforgiveable thing they have bequeathed us.

No comments: